[CBQ] September 7, 1968, a sad day for train number 1

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] September 7, 1968, a sad day for train number 1
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:26:22 -0000
September 7, 1968, was a sad day for the Westbound DZ, for on that
day, the Chuckwagon was discontinued as a year around service and the
domed observation parlor car was repositioned behind the diner.

When I boarded the train that day to return to Denver to matriculate
at the University of Colorado, tuscan red Pennsylvania Railroad
sleepers carrying a Four Winds tour group (remember them?) graced the
rear of the train with the last one carrying the markers.  Up ahead,
you could see the familiar stainless steel cars of the DZ.

Replacing the Chuckwagon and ahead of the diner was the newly
refurbished snack-counter coach Silver Chair, a former parlor car on
the Twin Zephyrs.  You could still smell fresh paint in the car.

As I settled in my room in SC8, I was greeted by a mimeographed
message from the Q management saying that they were "pleased to
announce" (yeah, right) the new snack car service.

The next morning, some of my fellow passengers mentioned that they
had seen the eastbound DZ during the night, and the Domed obs still
graced its end (presumably the Silver Veranda because the Silver
Chateau was on our train.).

Just a little bit of personal history for those interested.

sjl

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511