Re: FW: [CBQ] Ex CB&Q E-9s

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: FW: [CBQ] Ex CB&Q E-9s
From: "rrhistorian" <rrhistorian@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:11:32 -0000
Greetings all,

These units are former 9914, 9922 and 9923.  They were purchased by
the Illinois Central; with 9922 and 9923 to be parts units and 9914
to be rebuilt to operating status (As CNIC 104).  While 9922 and 9923
were in very rough condition, rebuilding actually did start on
9914/CNIC 104, with a great deal of work done around the cab and sand
box, as well as the addition of ditch-lights to the nose and the
removal of the side panels.  I have photos of this work being done at
Homewood if anybody is interested.  This work done was very similar
to that being done to MILW 33C at the Illinois Railway Museum - see
<http://www.irm.org/dieseldept/restoration/milw33c/index.html>

I think that this unit would be a great starting point for creating a
real E8 or E9 as so much of the unit's historic fabric (from its
Morrison-Knudsen rebuilding of 1973-4 to an E9-AM) is gone; it would
be worth it to go further and replace the Cummins generator with a
steam generator and remove the additional fans added by MK.

Their main interest in these units is the main generators, which are
in high demand for other units.  Additionally, LTEX might also be
interested in the Cummins generator.  Unfortunately, general scrap
prices are also very high at the moment, which would probably mean
they would want to scrap every part they could.  It might be possible
to negotiate the donation of the carbody and whatever else they don't
want.  A restoration could progress with the first step being a
restoration of the carbody to its as-built configuration (not a small
task by any means) with further fund raising to restore it
mechanically.  It would be a lot of work over an extended period of
time, but we would end up with a unit in the condition as it was
delivered from LaGrange - Among the many E-units surviving today,
there is only a handful in this condition.  Additionally, the
restoration itself would be a great interpretive exhibit for a museum
that would explain locomotive construction and maintenance.

I think that it would be worth the trouble of talking with LTE to get
this unit - If we don't its fate will be assured.

Here are my notes on contact Information for LTE:

LARRY'S TRUCK ELECTRIC SVC CO
429 LOGAN AVE SE
WARREN,  OH  44483-5931
GEORGE  BAKERIS  (MANAGER)
Phone:  (330) 395-8791
Fax**: (330) 395-8790

Please keep me posted on what the BRHS decides, and please let me
know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,
Tom Cornillie