[CBQ] Re: Calendar Proofing

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Calendar Proofing
From: "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:52:57 -0000
Bob:

Thanks for your kind words. The mis-identifaction of Pearl Street
rather than Kewanee was mine, and mine alone. The rest of the
story is:

It was my first solo auto trip to Galesburg whose real purpose
ws to visit with Johnny Dean. I was fresh from the military and
had not seen Johnny since being drafted. He retired during my
stint and settled at his summer home in Vermont.

Leaving Chicago, the weather was, for  early December clear
and warm, in the upper thirties. As I followed  the mainline on
U.S. 34 and approached Kewanee, where I first encountered this
train, the wind shifted, rain fell, and temperature fell
dramatically. I was enjoying an ice storm in a rear-wheel drive
car!

I have a shot of this train at Galva in heavy overcast because that
was when I finally got to the end end. The train did work enroute
and the driving was slow. That whitish looking substance on the
ground is ice, not snow. You should have seen the road!

Given the excitement of the trip and the ice storm, I failed to
recall
where I actually took this picture. The mis-lableling occurred
shortly after the slides were processed in December, 1967. For
some reason, and now you know why, I have been a bit troubled
by my identifaction of this image.

Thanks for identifying the location.

Regards,

Ed

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Campbell"
<amtrak347@a...> wrote:
> Now that I have gotten beyond the January photo, I find only two
> mistakes in the captioning.  The February photo is located at
> Galesburg (Pearl St.) and not Kewanee.  The other is minor (a
typo);
> January, 2005 there should be a hyphen between
Austin-Western instead
> of an ampersand.  Still an excellent calendar!  Congrats Gary &
Ed!