[CBQ] Re: Re: O5 A & B steam

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Re: O5 A & B steam
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:26:32 -0600
Rubert,

That is all that of the O-5s that the Q ever converted. BYW, in
response to several other comments, in regular service, the oil burning
steam locomotives used bunker  C and, as indicated, the tenders were
equipped with steam coils to heat it so it would flow. However, when
#5632 was in fantrip service, it was often operated where there were no
bunker C oil facilities. Frequently, #2 diesel was used as a
substitute, which is a pretty uneconomical way to use diesel fuel, but
for one trip, it was acceptable and convenient. As an aside, I saw St.
Louis - Southwestern 4-8-4 #819 operating in 1990 to St. louis and it
reportedly was burning used electrical transformer oil and it smelled
and looked like it (very dark smoke and distinctive pungent odor).

Concerning diesel fuel and taxes, I have been around many diesel
locomotive fueling facilities during my career and have never seen
locomotive diesel fuel with dye in it. It is always clear (slightly
yellow). Keep in mind that most large diesel servicing facilities use a
tremendous quantity of diesel fuel each day. Most of them are supplied
by direct pipe lines, not trucks. Santa Fe, at Barstow, CA. had storage
tanks at the old locomotive facility with a capacity of 1.000.000
gallons. Most large RRs have a dept. within the Purchasing Dept. whose
only function is the acquisition of diesel fuel. It is among the
largest purchases that a RR makes and these depts are responsible for
making sure that there is an adequate supply at all times and at the
most reasonable price. They are constantly searching for fuel
worldwide. When the BN experimented with fuel tenders, it was their
plan to be able to buy fuel in the location with the lowest price. It
turned out to be difficult to manage.

Bill Barber

On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 07:14 AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Re: O5 A & B steam