[CBQ] Old Telgr. Last morse, prince albert cans etc...

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Old Telgr. Last morse, prince albert cans etc...
From: "Paul Robt. Jackson" <_Ocho1@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:46:29 -0000
Well I think the CB&Q was one of the 1st RR`s to install printers
(teletype) yet it was also about the last to give up the morse ckts.
-
I was holding the Mgr/WC posn at "VS"-Livingston MT (on BN after
merger)
and it was in the spring of `78 that the Supt of Communications
notified all Divn Supts that they wanted to pull the morse circuits
but were leaving it up to the Divn Supts to decide were it would
still be required. The Butte Sub was still being Dispatched by morse
(out of Missoula) so that wire was still in svc when I left "VS" in
Sept 78 and I think I heard somewhere that the last train order on
the morse wire was put out to "BY" Butte sometime in `82..
-
However, in the relay dept, we had the "GX" ckt which was cut into
all relay & Chief Dsprs offices system wide (Supt of Comm ofc was
also on the ckt, (call there was "HX") it was a busy wire and used a
lot by the wire chiefs and we also got out "time" signals there & sut
them thru to the local morse wires to set our standard clocks every
day (at 1pm)..
-
I was holding the Mgr/wc posn at "X" Hannibal MO when I lost this
morse ckt in August 1983...
.
Prince Albert cans? --- well that was pbly the most popular can to
use but i`ve seem lots of other tobacco cans used..ie..half&half..etc
The purpose of using these cans was to soften the tone of the
sounder..
BTW thats where to old term "LID" (poor telgr) came from, by
adjusting the lid on the tobacco can you could change the tone..
When I was workin on the Katy (MK&T) we called "LIDS" the "hend stow"
operators...on the NKP we called `em the "GA ..--.." Oprs.
73
Paul

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: