Re: [CBQ] New member, Old Telgrapher

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] New member, Old Telgrapher
From: "Bob Weber" <eng95@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:48:32 -0800
When I was training to be an agent/operator (1950) by the agent at Chapin, Il
(Beardstown-St.Louis subdivision of the CB&Q) the only use of the telegraph was
to send/receive Western Union telegrams and to request/receive freight rates
from the tariff office.  All train orders were done via telephone.  The only
exception was when the telephones were down (usually during winter freezing
rain storms).  Of couse, when I hired on the end of March 1951, my first job
was at Alsey, Il and we had a storm that brought done the lines to Beardstown.
The first communication lines that the signalmen restored was the telegraph
which required me to use the key for train orders and clearances.  The
telegraph speed requirements at that time were 5 words/minute which I just
barely passed.  It was a tough first week for my initiation on the Q.

Bob