[BRHSlist] Re: Re: Reboxx wheels source. Was- Truck Rollability

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Re: Reboxx wheels source. Was- Truck Rollability
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:59:37 -0800
In a message dated 11/11/03 2:30:49 PM Central Standard Time,
danspach@macnexus.org writes:

I converted two pairs of Silver Streak metal trucks last night, with
documented improvements from 5-7 rolls to 18-19.

Denny

Ed Stapleton inquires-

Hi Denny...........
Just one question about the tests.  Are you comparing brand new Reboxx
wheelsets with brand new wheelsets of other vendors, or are you
comparing new Reboxx
versus used other vendor wheelsets?
...........Ed Stapleton

Ed, I am comparing them to whatever wheelsets happened to be in the
trucks at the time.

Starting about ten years ago, I began to replace all plastic wheel
sets with metal wheels, predominantly Kadee, some NWSL, Jay Bee, then
IM and Life Like. I did this for a bunch of small reasons: poor
plastic wheel quality, picking up too much dirt, poor appearance and
sound, and lastly, I valued the increased weight of the metal wheels.
Now, all of these wheels (then and now) were built generally to the
NMRA standard axle length of 1.015". The NWSL and Kadees had the best
quality control, and the Jay Bees the very worst. Because these new
axles bore only the slightest relationship to the lengths of the
axles removed, it was only a shot in the dark whether or not there
was any improvement in rollability (usually some, but not much).

When I went to DCC four years ago, metal wheels became an even
stronger issue for me.

It is against these metal wheels above that most of the Reboxx wheels
have been tested.

Now, would a Reboxx wheel set of a given axle length do any better
than IM, Life Like, or NWSL wheel sets of the same length- I do not
know, but at least theoretically not. However, only Reboxx so far has
the critical incremental variations in axle lengths that make them so
useful in the significant improvement of rollability. The superb NWSL
wheel sets do have three different axle lengths (1.015", 0.070" and
on special order an even shorter axle designed for P87), but they are
far separated.

Also, as far as I know, only Reboxx, NWSL, and IM are marketing HO
.088" replacement wheel sets.

Jay Bee wheel sets have been so poor (out of gauge, chipped flanges,
random axle lengths, etc. that I give them away). I sell my Kadee
wheels at the flea markets for $.50/4. My NWSL wheels are still so
fine that I save all of them.

Denny

[Non-text portions of this me
--