Re: [BRHSlist] Road Steam

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Road Steam
From: jkohl <jkohl@nc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 06:46:40 -0800 (PST)
>What were some of the "family resemblances" of Burlington road steam? <BR>
>Like, for example, preferred headlight placement, feedwater heater <BR>
>type, etc. I need to build a stable of medium and heavy locomotives <BR>
>(primarily non-articulated), but there isn't a whole lot out there <BR>
>that isn't brass. How close do some of the Proto 2000, Genesis and <BR>
>Spectrum (maybe) recent offerings come to looking like CB&Q power, <BR>
>how major would modifications to make them look substantially like <BR>
>Burlington engines be?<BR>
><BR>
>Any comments will be helpful - thanks!<BR>

Mark, if you head to my website (www.castlegraphics.com), you can check out
a good cross section of Q steam.  Most plastic is generic (and usually USRA
based), so to get some of the high-headlight Q power you could be looking
awhile.

As someone mentioned, the Broadway Ltd Mikado is reasonable for the USRA
prototype Q locos.  And the tender is correct.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/products/images/usraheavy/front34lg.jpg
http://www.castlegraphics.com/graphic/transportation/rail/cbq_5509_2-8-2_wichita_falls_TX_jan1957.jpg

I've got an IHC CB&Q Mountain, and they are ok, but really could use some
extra work to make them correct.  If I remember correctly, the tender is
wrong as well.  I saw that IHC now has some Hudsons, and they are decent for
generic prototypes, but again, have incorrect tenders.

http://www.ihc-hobby.com/img/jpg/23000.jpg

http://www.castlegraphics.com/graphic/transportation/rail/cbq_3006_4-6-4_chicago_IL_jul1940.jpg

Cheers!

Jan