Re: [BRHSlist] Expo Flyer Bulletin and fish racks

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Expo Flyer Bulletin and fish racks
From: PSHedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:01:15 EDT
Not necessarily just "leaking liquids"...but,,,would you believe they were
actually used for something their name implies...FISH

Let's go back to the days before mechanical refrigeration...Fresh fish and
other like commodities were shipped in crates surrounded by ice...Usually by
Railway Express...These shipments would be placed by the Express Messenger or
baggageman as the case might be, on the "fish racks" in the baggage car...As
the
ice melted the water would drain through the crate and down "through" the fish
racks...The fish racks, of course, were  over a pan or sump under the car
floor which, as you might suspect, was connected to a drain which dropped the
water out onto the ground, thus avoiding "puddles" on the car floor.

Anybody have Lucius Beebe's MIXED TRAIN DAILY...In the section on some of the
Georgia Shortlines there's a little photo vynett (sp) showing a shipment of
fish (I think it was Mullett) being transferred from a Central of Georgia
baggage car to the Wadley Southern's (perhaps one of the other roads...I'm
working
from memory here) combine...for shipment to final destination on the WS....

The point of the story was that a "Determined Fishmonger"..of the female
persuasion shown in the first picture was overseeing her Mullet shipment so
that
it wouldn't spoil in the hot Georgia sun...The WS had a car of cinders to
unload that day, but said "Determined Fishmonger" "persuaded" the conductor
that
her shipment was more important than the cinders....and the shipment was moved
promptly to destination....

I don't know whether this has any real connection to this thread or not, but,
as my wife ofter sez..."everything reminds you of something".....So it do....

Pete

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511