[BRHSlist] Ottumwa carseals "61-63

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Ottumwa carseals "61-63
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:51:28 -0500
Bcc:
3 yrs inclusive.  19 foreign roads with 27 cars.  Milw & CRIP (1 bagged
feed) had 3 ea; C&NW (1 grain), SOU, AT&SF (1 clothes washers) & UP (1
bagged feed from Ralston Purina in Ottumwa to Fairfield) 2 ea.  There were 1
ea from Wab, IT (Philco Dryers from Fairfield to Mpls), D&M (same load &
train as the IT), CGW, CN, Erie, E-L, PRR, MP (wood flooring), LN (agt noted
it was an XDF box probably because of the rarity of Damage Free cars at the
time), N&S (that's the old Norfolk & Southern - for them a rare 40' box car
in their sea of coal hoppers), B&O (chairs to Des Moines) & NYC (scrap
rubber from tire plant in Des Moines, probably Firestone).

Private & RR owned lines numbered 13 with 32 cars.  Leading the parade
(either a lot of carelessness in St. Louis or a lot of break-ins) was
StLRX (Bud) with 18!  GARX (box cars in the GATX fleet) had 2 (1 was 50908
that burned on 8-16-62 with load of canned goods from Hunts Foods) and the
rest were one ea: RBWX 64008, WHIX (WFE mark) with potatoes, ART, NX 1623,
PFE, WFE, MORX (Morrell), FHLX (loaded with grain doors so apparently a box
car but cannot find reptg mark in OER*) and EORX (Marfac Div of Cities
Service) a tank car with gas leak - set on freezer track (Morrell's?) and
repaired by local Thermo Gas employee.  There as also an unidentified
trailer on a TTX that had milk bottles going to Des Moines.

(*who were major mfgs of grain doors in the eaely 60's - perhaps I can track
it that way - my mind's a blank and can't put my hand on my book of RR
suppliers)

The Q had 8 frt cars & 2 BTL trailers (5344 & 20-7117) on TTX flats.  Frt
included 36984 with bagged feed for Mt. Pleasant, 12272 with co. matls from
Lincoln partially unloaded @ Ottumwa and 41070 loaded with wool.

Next "64 to the end!                          PS - will trade this book for
something similar from LaCrosse Division.

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511