Re: [BRHSlist] Thesis help

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Thesis help
From: "R.B. Blough" <rblough@csj.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 01:23:48 -0500

Scott,
There are several references to the Jacksonville and Southeastern in Messrs
Wallin, Stringham and Szwajkart's book, CHICAGO & ILLINOIS MIDLAND, Golden
West Books, 1979.  It is an excellent reference book for almost all
railroads in the C&IM's general territory.  The Jacksonville Journal
Courier newspaper runs a daily "glance into the past" feature with very
short news clips going back 120 years that has had frequent references to
the JSE&NW.  If you could access the old files of the newspaper I am sure
they would yield much information.  I do not know what the requirements are
for someone to research their files however.  A man named Greg Olson writes
this feature.  Journal Courier phone is 217 245-6121.  I think the
Jacksonville Public Library also has old newspaper files.  217 243-5435.  A
book was published in 1976 titled, MORGAN COUNTY IN THE 20TH CENTURY  which
had a limited amount of information on the JSE.  I think I still have my
copy but can't find it at the moment.

I have a question about the JSE as well.  I found an old map that shows it
having a line going straight south from Franklin IL,passing Barr,
Scottville and Chesterfield then South same as the old CP&StL from
there.  Having never heard of this part of the  line, I wonder if it ever
was built, or if it was, when was it abandoned.  I asked Mr. Wallin about
it and he was not familiar with it.

As the saying goes, hope this helps.

Oh yes Scott, my ESPN tells me you might have been a Jim White listener.

73,
Dick  K9RVK

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511