[BRHSlist] re: 1898 barrel & furniture cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] re: 1898 barrel & furniture cars
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:14:44 -0500
Bcc:
Until tank cars came along, liquids shipped in barrels (as did many foods)
with emptys gathered at certain points & shipped back in barrel cars -
basically flats with superstructure to keep them within confines of car.  As
emptys were light, they could be stacked high.
As for furniture cars - they were used for bulkly lightweight items such as
furniture, buggys (remember this is pre-automobile), etc much like in the
1960's baby hi-cubes were used for applicances and 86' high cubes for auto
parts and the like; ie. bulky yet light loads.
The Q developed 39' furniture cars in 1890's when std box was 28 & 30'.
Remember too 100 yrs ago  box cars hauled all the grain, all the bulk
chemicals (bagged), etc that later went to covered hoppers.
AT the St. Paul meet was a G scale poulty car in the model contest with a
lot of documentation as to that type of car.  The only question left was
when they stopped running them,  I just checked my copy of The American
Freight Car by White and says about 1960.

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments.  Get Hotmail
Extra Storage!   http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511