Re: [BRHSlist] Re: waycar internal life

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: waycar internal life
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:05:04 -0600
From: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: waycar internal life

Hi Bob and Russ:

The Gillette Road Switcher turns their whole train someplace....usually at
Coal Creek mine wye....every night, to avoid shoving a string of tank cars
all the way from the Hilight Gas plant back to Gillette.  Usually...they
turn the motor too at Donkey Creek or Campbell on the way out...because it's
facing wrong from the night before.  A "real motor" is easier to run long
hood front than a wide-cab, but it isn't something you want to do if you
don't have to.  Unlike those guys in Texas, I'd gladly put the SD-40 on the
point...not to save time, of course, just because I like 'em better :>)

I can guarantee that the Company is more interested in fuel economy than
service, just look at my monthly list of "exceptions" to the stretch/power
braking rules to prove it :>)  I had a really nice V-train home a couple
trips back...not too heavy, good air, three motors with a nice, comfortable,
easy to run, SD-40-2 on the point, and none of 'em would rat me out for
stretchin'...that was sweet :>)

For a little "Q" interest....I stopped and saw "Big Alice" and Car 99 in La
Crosse while I was home in August.  Alice has a scaffold around her...a Park
District employee told me that "some fellows come out and work on it every
once in a while".  But she looks pretty good for setting out in the open
with her jacket still intact. I also went to the Dells and worked on the
R&GN for a few days, a little section work, some running, and "history".
After that, I went down to Milwaukee Zoo and they had both engines fired up
for me.  I ran my Pacific most of the time, and the Atlantic some.  I did
remember why I prefer South Dakota to Wisconsin....I got up one morning to
go out to the R&GN, and looked at the Madison weather...95, feels like
100...humidity 100%, and it wasn't even raining :>)  You don't sweat
standing still out here, like you do there.  The first of this month, I went
down to Denver to sell books and videos at the Narrow Gauge Convention, and
stopped out to see the 5629 and Car 96 at Golden.  Boy! has that place
changed since I was a regular in the '60's :>)  Just out of curiosity, since
the 96 is a business car, is the 99 also?  I came back from Denver with a
nice 5629 mouse pad.

Later,

Mike Decker

>    Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:14:01 -0500
>    From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: waycar internal life
>
> Bob,
>
> Have to say that I really doubt there is a craft they have more contempt
> for than dispatchers.
>
> As to the operating crafts if you work between La Junta and Amarillo
> and get dog caught 4 trips out of 5 why should you really care about
> being on duty for two or three hours before you leave.
>
> There are many places on this RR where a step on and step off crew
> change takes an hour and a half to two hours. No one, including
> Management, is in much of a hurry and that attitude is spreading.
>
> Russ

ReplayTV: Control live television
Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!