Re: [BRHSlist] Icing refers in the mid-60s

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Icing refers in the mid-60s
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:19:53 -0500
James,

Yes, on the far Eastern end of the Railroad they iced at Galesburg
and Clyde.  Locations of icing service were in tariffs which were
rather difficult to get changed.  In some ways the best way to change
things was to drive away the business.

On a similar note the C&NW came up with the idea that they could
set up a tariff with reduced rates if the Customer would "Waive
Inspection, Set Direct".  They snuck it though the regulatory agencies
and within about two years the "Grain Inspection Tracks" were gone.
The Railroads got more yard space without building any track, a
substantial reduction in switching, and relief from per diem expense
that more than offset the rate reduction.  Who lost?  The small
elevators could no longer ship grain that had not been graded.
Most switched to trucks that were much easier to re-position from
one Terminal Elevator to another when there was a chance they
could get a better price with a different guy doing the grading.

Russ