[BRHSlist] Belay my last! Re: For you scratch builders...

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Belay my last! Re: For you scratch builders...
From: "captmix" <tamix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:32:13 -0000
Hi Steve,

Assembly was described in the article, and the photos should have
demonstrated some more of the process. Although I have to admit that
the whole article was more of an outline rather than a step by step.

Just one aluminum jig with slots was used starting with the
small/medium counterweights portion cut out so that the rim with
counter weight attached would be level with the bottom of the
spokes. Heavy counter weights were assembled last as more of the jig
had to have material milled out to fit. That meant that the jig
really could not be used again.

It would probably be the same with common drivers like 63." One
aluminum jig with slots would work for the light and medium counter
weights but the cut out required for the heavy weights would not
leave enough slot length between the hub and counter weight to
properly hold the spokes in place for another set. To reuse a jig
one would almost have to make two, one for light and medium weights
and one for the heavy.

Don't worry, Steve. I didn't quite understand that explanation
either!

Driver wheels smaller than 74" would most likely have 15 spokes
rather than the 17 in the article. Smaller drivers yet, 57", 51",
would have maybe 14, 13, and even 11 as used on the USRA switchers.
When cutting slots for wheel spokes with odd numbers  like 17,  13
or 11 my Emco dividing attachment can't be used so the rim circle
would have to be ticked off with a set of dividers to get the
correct spacing to cut the slots.

I have finished a set of 69" square counter weight drivers for a
CB&Q 2-6-2. O Scale Trains has indicated they will publish the
article I wrote for that job. The technique is pretty much the same.
This article will also have pics of the 2-6-2 frame. Send me your e-
mail address and I can send a couple of the pics.

I hope you aren't even more confused after reading this!

Tom

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM