Re: [BRHSlist] car seal usage Ottumwa "31-67

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] car seal usage Ottumwa "31-67
From: PSHedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:43:01 EDT
Couple of off the top thoughts re seals.

CRL...could it be CRI  (Chicago River and Indiana)...one of the roads that
served the Chicago Stock Yards.

I'd be 97.3% sure that No. 62 was Train 62....Only place that I'm aware of
that sequential files were maintained for wrecks was in the Freight Claims
Dept..on the RI they were a 5 digit number I think..which incorporated the
year....Local reference would always be to whatever the train was called
locally.

HCTX...I've seen this reporting mark, but can't bring it up...seems like it
was a tank car line..I may wake up some night and have it...if so I'll post it.

Most everyone is perhaps familiar with banana messengers...these were guys
who actually traveled with the reefers of bananas...Bananas are extremely
sensitive to temperature changes..they also generate considerable quantities of
heat
as they ripen...Consequently it was necessary to check the internal condition
and temperature of the bananas frequently,  The messenger could then order
the vents closed or open, heat or ice as the case required.

I only saw one banana messenger during my long and sordid railroad career...I
was working the Ravenna (NE) switch engine (11p-7a) summer 1956....We had one
of the mainline WB freights in  79 or 75...I was walking up the yard and
spied a decrepit figure carrying a smoked up barn lantern creeping through the
yard...I asked one of the other trainmen who that was...reply..That's the
banana
messenger...They were not from the upper levels of society.

Pete

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM