Re: [BRHSlist] Cannonball Car Shops Express Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Cannonball Car Shops Express Cars
From: lyle dowell <slyone@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:57:51 -0500
Hi Tom,
   I have built a couple of these so far. There are now two tooling
version possibilities. The original version (my two are this tooling) is
a big pain in the butt. On it there is a major amount of sanding to get
the parts to fit, align, etc. The instructions warn about having draft
angles on some parts for manufacturing purposes, but one of the parts
has almost an 1/8" of material that needs to be sanded/filed. I find it
frustrating to have to shape it this much.   The 2nd tooling may have
fixed some of this. I bought one at Galesburg's RR Days, but have yet to
start it so I can't say how much better it is. I was advised of the
tooling change by Dave Lotz, from whom I bought it, so perhaps he can
elaborate. Don't get me wrong, the original is not horrible to do, just
a nuisance. I'll put it this way .... I've seen a photo of an F-unit
pulling 5 of these cars, two foreign road baggage cars, and two waycars.
I want to model this train. The difficulty of the 1st tooling makes me
ask 'do i want to build 3 more?' but its not so bad that I won't say
that I wouldn't build three more. I just need to convince myself to do
it. However, the new tooling may render the point moot.
  The instructions are a bit lacking, proto' photos would be usefull to
explain a couple of the parts because the instructions don't tell you
what they are or where they go.
  I'm not well versed on the specifics of the car's use, but the Q had
300 of them. They were all over the system. Some were equipped with
ladders and roofwalks and put into freight usage, but kept their steam
lines (so I'm told) and possibly appeared in passenger consists. If
interested I have an 'OK' photo of one of the models I did, I could send
it to you if interested. I also have a photo of a freight version I
might be able to locate, scan, and send if that would be useful.

Lyle Dowell

--

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM