[BRHSlist] Re: Question #41 posted on EJ&E List

To: <eje@yahoogroups.com>, <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Question #41 posted on EJ&E List
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:53:12 -0500
>Question#41.At one time the EJ&ERY owned a big terminal on the
> Calumet River in South Chicago.At times the J handled trains-loads of
> what type of fright that was received from the C&NW at West Chicago
> for the 98th street line.

I believe you are talking about the Burlington, South Chicago Terminal
Railroad Company.  Here is most of the Explanatory Text of the ICC Valuation
dated 12/31/27....
"The Burlington, South Chicago Terminal Railroad Company was incorporated
February 9, 1917 under the general laws of the State of Illinois.
The railroad owned by this carrier is standard gauge, steam operated  and
consists of 9.199 miles of yard tracks and sidings, located between 101st
Street and 105th Street and near the mouth of the Calumet River in South
Chicago, Illinois.
The carrier does not operate its property.  A portion is operated under
lease by the Chicago, Burlington  Quincy Railroad Company and the remainder
by the Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Railway Company.
Under trackage right agreements property owned by the carrier is used by the
following:
The Belt Railway Company of Chicago
The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company
Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Railway Company
The carriers tracks connect with the tracks owned by the Chicago and Western
Indiana Railroad Company and The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway
Company.
Mileage and Valuation Sections:
Two valuation sections have been established, the mileage and use of which
is as follows:
Wholly Owned But Not Used:
Val. Sec.                                              Leased to
Miles Yard Tracks

and Sidings
1-Ill.                                    Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad Company         8.924
2-Ill.                                    Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Railway
Company                    0.275
                                                                    Total
Wholly Owned but Not Used      9.199
Road:
The grading is extremely light.  Tracks are laid principally with 80 pound
relay rail on 6"x8"x8'
zinc treated cross ties with cinder ballast.  There are no bridges and no
buildings of any consequence.
Equipment:
The carrier owns no equipment........."

A map accompanying the valuation shows a north south connection between the
CRI&P at the north and the C&WI at the south.  Five side tracks branch off
to the east and run out on slips in the Calumet River.

I don't know if this is the same operation, but I have heard that the Q used
this facility for loading slag ballast and stationed a
2-10-2 down there for transfer runs.

Charlie Vlk