[BRHSlist] re: crossing shantys

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] re: crossing shantys
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:33:22 -0500
Bcc:
I don't recall seeing any on the Q where I railfanned as a kid but do
recall some onthe  Milw in Dbq & LaCrosse.  Last active one I saw was on Soo
Line's Fond du Lac shops' property in early 80's.  Originally RR's were
req'd to have these by some states in some situations but the advent of
interlocked crossing gates, bells and lights ended the req's.  Also, in the
days when operating employees occaisionally lost an arm or limb on duty,
being given a flag man job @ a crossing was a positive for all parties
concerned.  Again, enhanced safety programs greatly reduced the loss of
limbs & life although it always will be a hazardous industry to some extent
for obvious reasons.

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404