Re: [BRHSlist] Last passenger trains to Paducah and/or Metropolis???

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Last passenger trains to Paducah and/or Metropolis???
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
Bob is right, but just a couple of clarifications. The
Q never operated "true" passenger trains into Paducah.
They were always mixed trains or more correctly
freight trains ("hot shots") that carried passengers
in a combination waycar or old coach. They started
doing this,into Paduch, in December, 1917, when the
bridge was completed.  They began operating freight
trains in this manner, into Metropolis, in September,
1910. This practice ceased in 1938, when #71 &
#68(former #72), were cut off south of Herrin
Junction. The other pair of freight trains, #70 & #
73, had quit carrying passengers, a couple of years
before. The Metropolis local carried passengers, in
the waycar, until 1970, but it was rough trip,
especially the line from Neilson to West Vienna, over
the Illinois Ozarks. The grades and curves gave you a
ride that you didn't forget! Going up Goreville Hill
was OK,(it happened at a crawl), but coming
down....think Six Flags. The slack action knocked you
all over that waycar. And the smell of hot brake shoes
made you wonder if things were under control. The ride
on the headend was MUCH better.
 John
--- Bob Weber <eng95@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm sure John Mitchell will jump in here tomorrow to
> fill in any details but here is a brief summary of
> what he has written in Burlington Bulletin #35, 'The
> Q in the Coal Fields'.  Up until Aug. 1928 the CB&Q
> provided limited passenger services between
> Centralia and Paducah via combination baggage-coach
> cars on the rear of second class scheduled freight
> trains, No.s 70-73 and 71-72.  In Aug. 1928 the ICC
> ordered the Burlington to provide passenger services
> between Beardstown and Metropolis which they did
> using gas-electric passenger motor cars as trains
> No. 11 and 12.  Starting April 15, 1931 the service
> of 11-12 was reduced to Beardstown to Herrin.
> Limited passenger service to Metropolis continued to
> be offered until the 1970 BN merger.
>
> Bob

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM