Re: [BRHSlist] Last passenger trains to Paducah and/or Metropolis???

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Last passenger trains to Paducah and/or Metropolis???
From: "Bob Weber" <eng95@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:40:43 -0700
I'm sure John Mitchell will jump in here tomorrow to fill in any details but
here is a brief summary of what he has written in Burlington Bulletin #35, 'The
Q in the Coal Fields'.  Up until Aug. 1928 the CB&Q provided limited passenger
services between Centralia and Paducah via combination baggage-coach cars on
the rear of second class scheduled freight trains, No.s 70-73 and 71-72.  In
Aug. 1928 the ICC ordered the Burlington to provide passenger services between
Beardstown and Metropolis which they did using gas-electric passenger motor
cars as trains No. 11 and 12.  Starting April 15, 1931 the service of 11-12 was
reduced to Beardstown to Herrin.  Limited passenger service to Metropolis
continued to be offered until the 1970 BN merger.

Bob