[BRHSlist] Re: Broadway Limited CB&Q 2-8-2

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Broadway Limited CB&Q 2-8-2
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:21:50 -0700
John --

I wouldn't pre-judge Broadway's final paint scheme by that diagram. A much
better indication is the photo of their actual production model:

http://www.broadway-limited.com/products/USRA.htm

The cab roof in that picture looks much more like a mineral orange or red
-- actually quite close to Jim Ehrenberger's shot of 5506 on page 29 of
Alfred Holck's Burlington Route Color Pictorial Vol. 1. And if you look
through the steam gallery in that volume, you'll see all sorts of shades,
ranging into a dull blackish-purple or even black. I think it's just a
matter of how long it had been since they'd repainted it and how much soot
had accumulated since the last washing. You can probably duplicate almost
any shade you want with judicious oversprays of grimy black or equivalent
-- a technique also remarkably close to how it happened in nature.

Jonathan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM