Re: [BRHSlist] crossing between diesels

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] crossing between diesels
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
Pete
I too,remember when this was the badge of a good
trainman. That was REAL railroading.  Even with the
curved grabirons, some engineers, tryed to see if they
could pulled your arms out of socket! That was just
another one of those points of ill feelings between
engineers and trainman. And if you were a head
brakman, you had better drop off and RUN for that
switch, when "heading in". On most roads, today, it is
a "fireable" offense to get caught getting on or off
moving equipment. Along the same lines, does anyone
remember those silly "bad footing" bulletins, that you
couldn't remember where all the "bad footing"
locations were. Oh what fun to drop off, at night on
top of ties scattered on the ROW! Some of you working
guys, do they still do that?

And just for the record, the GP-7s came with drop
steps and chains, but had them removed in about '57 or
'58. Likewise the SD-7's had chains, but no drop steps
when they were delivered and had them replace with
solid bars about the same time. The policy at the time
was that operating personnel did not "need" to go
between hood units, in motion and that mechanical
forces should dismount and climb back on, to get from
unit to unit. Of course, they just ducked under the
bar and stepped across.
John

http://calendar.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM