Re: [BRHSlist] crossing between diesels

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] crossing between diesels
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:08:26 -0600
Hi Folks:

Gerald is correct.  We used to make "running" crew changes of both ends of
mty's at Edgemont, usually the head ends of loads stopped.  The rules
changed to prohibit getting on and off moving equipment at about the same
time as the (so called) "Comfort Cabs" came out on the 9200s.  We are still
allowed to get on and off while loading coal....the mine load-out people get
fairly upset if you stop every time you need to throw a switch or change
crews.  The Company claimed they were "all of a sudden" having too many
injuries from getting on and off moving equipment.  My theory is that since
you can see half of Campbell County from the wide cab windows, but you can't
see anything on the ground for about 50 feet out, they were worried about
the Engineer not being able to see the Brakeman getting on and off.  That
little mirror mounted behind the cab window is supposed to substitute for
the vision you have out of a regular cab....but mostly, it just gives you a
really distracting view of the ballast going by at night, so I generally
fold mine down.

Best,

Mike Decker