Train Movements

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Train Movements
From: "thommack" <mack@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 23:52:30 -0000
I am getting ready to TRY to start some operations on my layout and
have some questions regarding freight train movements based on the
CB&Q data sheets. The main yard on my layout is 'tentatively" La
Crosse, WI. I say tentatively because I am not really modeling a
specific locale, but decided the the Chicago-Twin Cities line would
make for interesting operating possibilities, including pooled power
and interchange with some neat roads like C&NW (Alcos!) and MILW (F-
M's).

To get things started, I wanted to know what trains passed through
La Crosse and found the following in the data sheets:

80 Dayton Bluff - Galesburg - W. Quincy - St. Louis
81 St. Louis - Savanna - Dayton Bluff
82 Twin Cities - Chicago
83 Chicago - Twin Cities
90 Twin Cities - Chicago

Each of the above trains has a 30-45 minute stop at La Crosse. But
here is where it gets confusing to me.

1. Were there actually only 5 trains a day that would have run
through La Crosse? Since all trains into and out of the twin cities
went through La Crosse, I would have expected more.

2. There is no set out or pick up information for La Crosse for
trains 80-83. Only Train 90, which simply says "Sets out and picks
up". Does that mean that trains 80-83 didn't do any pick ups or set
outs at La Crosse?

I referenced Mike Spoor's CB&Q Volume 2 which covers La Crosse and
it looks like it was a fairly good size yard, with a modest engine
facility, and lots of waycars in one photo. It seems very clear the
yard had to generate a fair amount of traffic from points north and
south and also interchang, but the data sheets don't give me a clue
to how this worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get things more
operational on my layout.

Tom Mack

I have the Data Sheets