Mendota

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Mendota
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:52:18 -0500
List,

Just wanted to say the meet at Mendota was great! The fellowship and camaraderie with those who appreciate all things Burlington is invigorating. Met some old friends, made some new ones, and wish I could have bumped into a few others (Charlie Vlk for instance). Picked up some treasures I didn't know I "needed" and took 30 pounds of Q' ballast off Dave Lotz's hands, probably to his great relief. <g>

The clinics were interesting, informative, and extremely well attended as always. Also have to mention the weather and the food were both excellent! A tip of the hat and thank you are also to be extended to the folks the Mendota Union Depot Museum, including station master and modeler of the HO layout located there, Ray Tutaj, as well the gent who lovingly tends the cab of the 4978 we affectionately call Yard Master Leo around these parts, Mister Leo McCauley. The restoration on the other two pass. cars is coming along nicely and sorry, I don't know who to specifically credit on these. I did notice they had a donations jar to help with the work, so if you didn't drop a dime, shame on you! Send them a check as penance. <g> (Yes, I kicked in.)

The only complaint I had about the event is that the Burlington Route jacket I recently ordered didn't show up until the Monday after. :(

Thanks to all who made this possible, and oh, in case anyone is wondering, I was able to pick up the final set of slides the company store had, for the 6-axle road diesels which contained 7 shots of the SD-45's in the hockey stick paint for reference. The green discrepancy I noticed must apparently be in lighting or some such as I started comparing the road numbers of the picture I have of a group of these sitting new outside the EMD shop (A. Holck's Color Book, Vol. 2, page 85) with other pix I have located of some of the same numbered units, and the "ASSumed" color difference isn't apparent on the subsequent photographs. My thanks, though, to all who took the time to respond on this issue and gave me their help and insights. Now if I just hadn't read somewhere that there WAS an interim green used experimentally . . .

Best,

Paul Kossart - (The CB&Q Guy)
"Everywhere West"