Re: [BRHSlist] Nicknames.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Nicknames.
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:31:55 EST
Karl and listers: Here's a couple to start with.

Before we start this little exercise here's an item I saw a few years ago in
TRAINS...I don't have it here now, but it said something like. "Points for
veracity don't count for as much as points for style"....I think most of
these will be going for STYLE POINTS

MAIL SACK: This guy was a brakeman on the Lincoln Division and during his
early days he was the head brakeman on a westbound freight train...They were
making a hot run ahead of a passenger train one evening.

As they approached a station the order board was red and the operator was out
with a hoop....Also the mail was hung for the passenger train RPO to pick up.

The engineer instructed said brakeman..."pick that up"....well, I don't have
to relate "the rest of the story"...you've guessed the ending....MAIL SACK
speared the mail sack and the rest is history.....

DING DONG: Was the conductor on an eastbound freight train from Ravenna (NE)
to Lincoln....At Grand Island someone had reported that the signals at a
particular crossing weren't working properly....The dispatcher called the
train on the radio and asked the rear end to check and see if the signals
were indeed bad order.

Here is the report: "Well, the lights are blinkin, but the DING DONG don't
work".

Now it's your turn.

Pete

Well, I'll take a little risk and do this one....There was a Rock Island
engineer at El Reno OK who had a very red and wrinkled neck....His nickname
was P.......Neck... He was usually referred to as Peck.