Re: [BRHSlist] GP-7s - a couple of ?s

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] GP-7s - a couple of ?s
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:52:45 -0600
John,

When these units were built they had hot water heat in the cabs.
During the winter months it was common to cover up the grill
nearest the cab to increase the water temperature so the cab
would stay warmer. Most GP7's and GP9's owned by Northern
roads had metal slides on both sides and bottom of this grill and
the plates were kept and inserted at the start of every winter
and removed each spring. Switch engines had roll down tarps
that covered all or part of the radiator screen with the same goal
in mind.

Many people that own pickups in Northern weather use a piece of
cardboard to do the same thing.

The deal on the walkway behind the left side of the cab should have
had a stack coming out of the top of it. This was a standby heater
that would allow the engine to be shut down in cold weather without
freezing up. Many "Q" NW2's had the same device. Was just a
diesel fuel fired heater with a circulating pump and coils to keep the
water warm. They were not that successful and most were removed
somewhere along the line.

Russ