CB&Q & Andy Griffith

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: CB&Q & Andy Griffith
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:39:33 -0600
Bcc:
De ja vu = was running thru cable channels to get to the "Weather Channel" to check the wind chill & came across a very old Andy Griffith episode on "TV Land". Caught my eye as Opie (Ron Howard) & friends were talking to a hobo - apparently a VERY early episode as Opie was VERY small. The hobo made me stop in hopes there would be a RR tie-in. Guess what? He's explaining to the kids why he can't work - has a 'game leg'. The cause? "I was an engineer on the CB&Q - that's a railroad - and I saw a baby crawling across the tracks. I left the cab, went out to the front of the engine & scooped that baby up and threw it into a soft pile of leaves but I got the worse of it & had multiple breaks of my ....". I watched the rest to see if there were more RR references - there were none but what were the chances a Hollywood writer in the 50's would have used "CB&Q" as opposed to SP or Santa Fe (if filmed in Hollywood & writer from that area) or Pennsy or NYC if done in New York (as some shows were still in the 50's). Waited to see the credits and writer was a "John Whoden" - obviously a Q fan! I know, not much of a Q story BUT given the many RR's still around nearly 50 yrs ago, it was a long shot. My quote isn't verbatim but pretty close & definitely dead on when he said "on the CB&Q - that's a railroad..." Gerald