Denver Zephyr N Scale

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Denver Zephyr N Scale
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:41:11 EST
So far my N Scale "Denver Zephyr" has been on static (shelf) display. What I
have done with other brass N Scale passenger cars is to use a Unimate fixed
drawbar on the front, and a Kadee coupler on the rear of each car. (Unimate
has been bought out by ....Caboose products, if I'm not mistaken?) I don't
recall the exact name, as I sit here in front of my computer. But you can
find the plastic draw bars at hobby shops. You'll want the type with the 2
hole settings for securing under the end of each car under the diaphram.

Just use the car's manufacturer's screw to secure under the diaphram. Again.
Unimate on one end and Kadee on the other. Then when you couple cars
together, you need to use just a little effort, the spring on the Kadee will
allow the coupling.

To uncouple, you need to lift one of the two cars off the rail.

Not only do they couple securely with hardly any separations, it leaves just
enough room for curves without the unsightly gap between diaphrams. Watch
out for high / lows in your coupler height from the rail. If they do not
match, you may experience partings between cars on track irregularities.

As for re-trucking the DZ equipment, I have not attempted this yet. If you
try a Kato truck, make sure it's one designed for the post-war Budd
equipment. The early Kato truck for passenger cars has the clasp brakes with
the brake cylinder which would not clear the skirts of the DZ cars. Perhaps
a little filing could help accomplish attaching a plastic early Kato truck.
They sure do roll great.

Hubert