Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1612

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1612
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 16:03:14 -0600
Up until the early 70's, my folks heated their home with coal. Their furnace had an "Iron Fireman" automatic stoker to feed it. It needed to be filled once a day which was my job as a kid. Of course, you also had to clean the fire as part of the job. Over most of the years from 1946 when the house was built, the coal came from the Lord Lumber and Coal yard in downtown Downers Grove. Dad liked "Patsy" coal which, I believe, also came from southern Illinois. It had little thin soft metal disks in it to identify it. The Q delivered the coal to Lord in hoppers on the west end way freight, I think. They switched it in from the siding that started near the old turntable. As I recall, both the east end and west end way freights turned at Downers. Our coal bin was fairly large and we used to get coal by the ton, about 2 - 3 each time. Eventually, Lord stopped handling coal as the demand dropped dramatically. Then, for a while, dad ordered coal from a yard in Lombard, IL. Finally, he "threw in the towel" and installed a new gas furnace. Much cleaner, but in some ways, both he and I missed that old coal furnace. It certainly was a great way to get rid of wood scraps and paper waste and get some use out of it, too!

Bill Barber