Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q F Units

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q F Units
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@a...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:16:59 -0700
John,

The F-2 through the F-9 models all had the same wheelbase so the
Life-Like mechanism will work just fine (as well as the Stewart,
Stewart/Kato, Genesis or InterMountain Rwy). I think the 'Q's choice for
using passenger pilots on freight 'F' units was strictly for esthetics as
the passenger pilot looked more sleek than the standard freight pilot and
the passenger pilots had doors on them that would cover the couplers. The
'Q' was a very image oriented railroad and there are lots of photos in Mike
Spoor's 'CB&Q in Color' series (Vols 1 - 4) and Al Holck's 'Burlington
Route- Color Pictorial' Vols 1 & 2 showing A/B/A and A/B/B/A sets of F-3's
and F-7's leading freights with the doors on the pilots of the lead
locomotive closed- giving them a true sense of speed and sleekness. The C&S
and FW&D F-7's also came with passenger pilots. The Milwaukee, Pennsylvania
and other roads also had passenger pilots on some of their freight 'F's. The
doors were eventually removed (or crushed when coupling onto a set of cars
and forgetting to open them) since they became a pain to maintain.

John Olson
Billings, Mt.