Re: [BRHSlist] Wind River Canyon

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Wind River Canyon
From: Harold Huber <sarge8usa@y...>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:21:27 -0800 (PST)
Don,
First good to hear from you. The refinery was west of the river and east of the
90 degree turn, where McDonalds is now about a block east of the Eagles club.
As for pictures I was young and not interested in trains then, I'm sure the
museum has some. By the way that museum is very good for a county museum, but
as normal for small county museums it lacks money and a lot of stuff is stored.
By the way Jon the other name of the coal town was Gebo. I should have
remembered that my family lived there before I was born, my uncle lost an eye
working in the coal mine, a small cinder or something. I'll ask my mother when
she returns home (she is Las Vegas vactioning while we have 10"-12" snow on the
ground) the name of the refinery, it slips my mind now. It was a distinctive
name. The refinery served Hamilton Dome and the Grass Creek oil fields. Oil was
trucked to the refinery and processed. My dad drove a truck that dribbled waste
oil on the dirt roads, have fond memories riding with him. Back then stuff was
localized. Refineries in Greybull and Cowley too, the Cowley refinery was
Mutual Oil Company which was also in Glenrock WY. Bob's Engine House had a
special run of Inter Mountain's tank car with this companies name. I
fortunately was able to get all the number run on this. I'm sure they ran
through Bonneville and Lysite. Don, I have been out of work for 5 months start
at Dugway Proving Grounds Mar 3 will let you know my address when I am settled.
Sold the Burlington Hack to Buffalo Bill Historical Center for the same price I
bought it for, hope they display it some day.
Harold Huber
Sheridan WY (soon Dugway UT)
Harold, Where was the refinery you mention? Do you have photos?