Locomotive Headlight Positions

To: brHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Locomotive Headlight Positions
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:13:44 -0600
I was browsing through the Otto Perry photo archives at the Denver Public Library site and found 3 photos of two pacifics that had their headlights mounted on top of the smokebox instead of the normal Q position high on the smokebox face. I had never seen this headlight arrangement before on a Q pacific although I have been a Q fan since I was a small boy many years ago. The photos are dated 1935 and 1937 and the locomotives are #2849 (DPL #OP-4183 & OP-4184) and #2857 (DPL #OP-4188). There is also a photo of #2857 in 1929 with the headlight in the standard position.

The top of smokebox position is reminiscent of some of the large 2-8-0s assigned to Lines West. I have several questions. 1. Does anyone know why the position was changed? 2. What shop changed the position? 3. How long did they remain in that position? 4. Were any other 4-6-2s so equipped? 5. Were any other locomotives, such as 2-8-2s so equipped?

It would certainly be interesting to model a locomotive with this arrangement, although I don't think it is very attractive (were Q pacifics attractive in any form?). If I had seen this before, I would have said it was incorrect. Thankfully, we have Mr. Perry's extensive record.

Bill Barber