CQ&Q GP and SD lights

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: CQ&Q GP and SD lights
From: estaple10@a...
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:35:12 EST
Cc: ESTAPLE10@a...
After years of procrastination, I am finally fixing to get ready to get
started to commence to begin installing DCC and lights in various
manufacturer's versions of GP7, 9, 20, 30, 35, 40 and SD 7, 9, 24 in Q
black/grey and red/gray schemes in HO.

What always hangs me up is not knowing for sure which lights were applied to
which locos. I have looked through several of my Q reference books and find
that photos of the rear lights are few and far between. Here is what I think
is right and what my questions are. "Twin" refers to vertical arrangement
unless noted. Forgive the length of this question. Also, if this has been
discussed ad nauseum on the list before, please just point me to it.

GP7/9 BOTH ENDS
Twin oscillating warning lights in a bulky casting at top of light
configuration just below the hood radius. Upper light clear, lower light
red. Are these PYLE or MARS?
Twin sealed beam headlights immediately below the warning lights at both
ends. Are these PYLE or MARS?

SD7/9 BOTH ENDS
Twin oscillating warning lights in a bulky casting at top of light
configuration mounted just above the hood radius. Upper light clear, lower
light red. Are these PYLE or MARS? Were these ALWAYS INSTALLED AT BOTH
ENDS? (#445 did not have rear warning lights in April 1968 photo)
Twin sealed beam headlights immediately below the warning lights. Are these
PYLE or MARS?

SD24
Twin oscillating warning lights in a bulky casting at top of light
configuration at CAB end just below the hood radius. Upper light clear,
lower light red. Are these PYLE or MARS?
Twin sealed beam headlights immediately below the warning lights at CAB end.
Are these PYLE or MARS?
Twin sealed beam headlights immediately below the hood radius at REAR end.
Are these PYLE or MARS?
Were the oscillating lights ever applied to BOTH ends of the SD24s?

GP20
Twin warning lights above cab with glare shields under each light. Clear on
top, red below. Were these oscilatting? MARS or PYLE?
Twin Pyle or Mars sealed beam headlights in recess below nose hood radius.
Twin sealed beam headlights immediately below the hood radius at REAR end.
Are these PYLE or MARS?

GP30
Similar to GP20.

GP35
Similar to GP30 except rear twin headlights arranged horizontally.

GP40
Similar to GP35.

Any and all help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Also
references to specific HO scale castings for any or all of the above would be
very helpful. Thanks in advance. ........... Ed Stapleton