Re: [BRHSlist] Re: AlClad Paint & Vacuum Plating

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: AlClad Paint & Vacuum Plating
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:35:38 EST
I agree with Randy regarding the use of Floquil Crystal Cote mixed with Flat
over plating. If you start with a plated brass passenger car, the finish is
really horrible. To make it look like Stainless Steel, I use a 3:1:1 mix of
Crystal Cote, Flat, and Floquil Airbrush thinner. I do not put it on too
wet, but use light coats and build it up to the desired level. I then bake
the cars in my paint booth. The final finish is not so flat that it looks
like silver paint, but still leaves some reflection of the plating.
Obviously, there are many ways to approach this. As Randy said, you need to
work with and tweak a technique until you get the results you are looking
for. Give it a try and I think you will like the "Stainless Steel"
appearance.

I will bring some cars done this way to the Mendota and Minneapolis Meets.

Rich