Re: [BRHSlist] Jumbo Book

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Jumbo Book
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@c...>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:34:40 -0600
Similar to the Jumbo Book was the report we ran at Eola near the end of
Third Trick(11PM-7AM)
In 1973 the BN went to the Compass System using the computer. Each car had
a computer card and all the info was punched on the cards. Shuffle the
deck and you wound up with a real mess. But the foremen would tell you how
they switched and you could get the cars in the right order. One of the
jobs on Third Trick was to run a report of where the cars were at. We had a
large sorting machine and would sort the cards by number with it and run a
report so the yardmaster could see where each car was at in the yard.
On the AEI plates in the same year we would get a list from the Harbor at
Congress Park and it would be right on the money except for a few lines of
XXXXXXXXXX So you had to look closely to see what it was. The Q had leased
some box cars from Chicago Freight Car Co. and after the merger they were
repainted Cascade Green. When they were repainted and the plates were on
the decline as a lot of roads would not keep them up they were just sprayed
right over. Of course the computer could not read the painted plates. The
problem with the plate was it took a little maintance(cleaning) something no
one wants to do.
sjh