Re: SD-45 trucks

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: SD-45 trucks
From: "Terry <okt@j...>" <okt@j...>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 05:59:24 -0000
Gentlemen,
Don't confuse truck design with brake set up.
The SD35 and earlier trucks are not NECESSARILY the same as the
SD40/45 trucks, some are some aren't
I recently had a conversation with one of the designers that several
model companies use and he was commenting on just this subject being
lost on a particular manufactures attitude. The wanted to use thier
older existing trucks on a new model and he was forced to explain the
Check this PRR web site:

http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/prr-diesels/sideframes/c.html

EMD Flexicoil truck
Produced in several versions, the Flexicoil truck featured roller
bearings and had a 13 foot 7 inch wheelbase. It was available in the
following phases:
Flexicoil-C1
Had evenly spaced axles and high mounted brake cylinders. Had
two "teeth" on the underside of the base casting between each pairing
of axles. Used on SD7 through early SD35 and also on ay 40-Series
units that had clasp brakes until mid-1968 (including an entire order
of UP SD45s). PRR SD7s, SD9s and SD35s were equipped with these. The
Proto 2000 SD7 and SD9 come with a nice rendition. The Athearn SD9
also has one. The Atlas/Roco/Con-Cor SD24 and SD35 have one with axle
spacing which instead matches the E8 A-1-A truck.
Flexicoil-C1L
The same as above, but with low mounted brake cylinders. EMD's last
two SD35Xs had this casting.
Flexicoil-C1H
The same as C1 but with one brake shoe per wheel. Strictly a rebuild
used on some Conrail SD50s.
Flexicoil-C2L
This was a low brake Flexicoil, and was used from late SD35
production to mid SD40/45 production, around mid-1967. All PRR SD40s
and SD45s through 6169 were delivered with these trucks. The Kato
SD40 (and possibly SD45) has one; Train Station Products makes an
aftermarket version for the Bachmann SD45 (and presumably the same
version for the Athearn)
Bachmann Spectrum SD45 with Train Station Products sideframes
Flexicoil-C2HL
This had a high outboard cylinder, and the inboard low cylinders are
raised above the predecessor C2L. The high cylinder was on the left
side, and only one side of the truck had this arrangement, the other
had two low mounted cylinders. It was used late 1966/early 1967 to
mid-1968 on orders with single-shoe brakes.
Flexicoil-C2H
This was used starting in mid-1968, and had 2 high mounted cylinders
at the outer ends of the truck. PRR SD45s from 6170 through 6234 (the
last) were equipped with these. The brake pad setup on one side was a
mirror image of the other, instead of being symmetrical. The Bachmann
SD45 comes with a version of this truck as shipped. (The Spectrum
version is slightly less crude than that on the older, Bachmann Plus,
version.)
Flexicoil-C2HC
This version had 3 high mounted brake cylinders and double-clasp
brakes. It was used first in mid-1968 on some UP SD45s. The IHC SD35
comes with a model of this truck.
Flexicoil-XLC
This was a lightweight, export version also used on some Milwaukee
SDL39s.

Terry