Locomotive Clock??

To: BRHSList <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Locomotive Clock??
From: Mike Gardner <gardnermc@e...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:22:18 -0800
Greetings,

I have come into possession of what purports to be a "locomotive clock" from the PRR. I have seen a similar one that is supposedly from the Q. They are both supposed to be from the steam days.

I have never seen a clock in the cab of a steam locomotive and understand that railroad time was kept by regulator clocks in the stations and railroad watches carried by the crews. The actual clock is in a brass case with about a 6" diameter face. The entire bezel and glass removes to wind the clock, there are no hinges. The case is meant to be bolted or screwed to a wall or bulkhead. It looks much like many ships clocks I have seen but is a 12 hour clock. It is made by Seth Thomas.

Does anyone know if clocks were actually mounted in the cabs of locomotives, Q or otherwise?

Thanks for your assistance.

Mike Gardner