Re: U25/28C's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: U25/28C's
From: "thommack <mack@c...>" <mack@c...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:20:12 -0000
Ken/Rupert:

Actually, the handrails for the U-boats should be red. The EMD's were
delivered with black handrails, the GE's with red handrails. If you
check the books and/or find early photos of the GE's you will see the
handrails were red when delivered (including the C&S U30C's). Problem
is that the paint tends to wear off quite quickly and the handrails
begin to look black as they get dirty, especially at the steps where
the constant rubbing of gloves or hands while climbing onto the
locomotive quickly wears things down.

Some modeling comments:

I have an AHM U25C I run on my layout. I removed the the handrails
and the back ladder and painted them using Scalecoat II CB&Q Chinese
Red SPRAY PAINT. Made the unit look immediately better. I darkened
the radiator areas with a black wash and decaled the numberboards.
After a weathering job, the unit doesn't look half bad. My unit runs
so-so, though, so I am thinking about dummying it, but for now it is
a powered unit. The biggest problem IMO is the front Gyralight on the
nose (I beleive this is the NP prototype). The Q should have a twin
beam Mars unit. I have the Sunshine Models replacement light but have
not added it yet since it will take some work to remove the old light
housing.

The Stewart Models U25B comes with the handrails molded in red.
Although this is correct, the red is a shade off, so I also sprayed
my U25B handrails with the above mentioned Scalecoat II spray paint.
They look great! Also, Stewart is still thinking about releasing the
U25B in a second CB&Q number. I suggest anyone interested contact
them and voice your support for a second unit.

Finally, if anyone knows how we could entice a manufacturer to build
a nice U25C (U28C Phase I), I'd be interested in joining the
bandwagon. I would love to add a few to the roster. I was hoping
Stewart might consider it, but they seem too busy with their Baldwin
switchers and high hood C628/C630.

Tom Mack

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@i...>
wrote:
> Ken
>
> Can't help with the models, but the handrails should be black
>
> Rupert

HO model