Re: Alco's on the Q - New Information (and one you probably missed)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Alco's on the Q - New Information (and one you probably missed)
From: "billselleck <buklyjuice@a...>" <buklyjuice@a...>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 01:13:47 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, cy svobodny <ctsvobodny@y...> wrote:
> I thought "Santa Fe" had some GP B's
> --- "thommack <mack@c...>" <mack@c...>
> wrote:
> > I just got my copy of Mike Spoor's Vol. 4 and have
> > the following
> > updates to pooled Alco power on the CB&Q (for those
> > Deisel
> > AlcoHaulics on the list):
> >
> > Probably the most interesting picture is found
> > (mislabeled - heads up
> > Mike!) on P. 48. The bottom picture shows Q Train 65
> > at Altona with
> > CB&Q GP20 931 leading three UP GP9B's and a UP GP20
> > in May of 1969.
> > Look again closely. The trailing unit is NOT a UP
> > GP20. It is in fact
> > a UP Alco RS27, one of 4 owned by the UP
> > (675-678)!!! PRR owned the
> > most RS27's, so probably a PRR or PC RS27 may have
> > ended up pooled on
> > the Q. But since Alco only produced 27 of these rare
> > diesels, and the
> > UP units did not last long (and were the ex Alco
> > demonstrators),
> > confirmation of one running one on the Q is quite
> > eye-opening.
> >
> > Also add to the list of pooled Alco's a UP C630
> > (2906, at Galesburg
> > in 1969 - see P.11) and a NYC RS32 (another one of
> > the rarer Alcos on
> > P 104/105). Although the RS27 and RS32 are only
> > available in brass,
> > Stewart models makes a very nice model of the C630
> > painted for UP.
> >
> > Last but not least, one of the rarer locomotives
> > ever built is on P.
> > 118, PRR GP9B 3817. Although the UP had quite a
> > fleet, and these
> > turned up on Q pools constantly, the PRR/PC had only
> > (as I racall)
> > only 5, and was the only RR other than UP to run
> > factory built GP9B's.
> >
> > Once again, a great book Mike with a wealth of new
> > information!!
> >
> > Tom Mack

Tom,

I was recently treated to a slide show depicting subjects in and around
the Galesburg yards. Viewing the slides were some former employees of
the Q. Although I am not able to share the images I saw that day with
you, please be reassured that many UP oddities have visited the yards
in Galesburg throughout the years, as they do today. Believe me when I
say that many of those now "classic" diesels were visitors. In addition
to the models you mention, I saw images of DD35s, DD35Bs, SD40s(all
kinds), SD45s, U25Bs (including high noses), U50s, RS-30 somethings
(I'm not a UP man), and DD40s (painted but unlettered) being delivered.
The only glaring omissions in the UP fleet were the gas turbines (go
figure). It was amazing to a youngster like me see so much of that
classic UP power right here in the Galesburg yards. Humorously, while
some of us were awestruck at this variety, a former roundhouse
electician was confirming their existence by complaining about having
to repair all of that foriegn equipment!

I have a couple images, courtesy of Tom Smith, of DD40s being delivered
on my website in the Galleries section:

http://www.billselleck.net

Bill Selleck