Re: [BRHSlist] re: discipline/Willard

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: discipline/Willard
From: "Gregory Myers" <myers.gregory@w...>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 08:01:16 -0500
>From the little I have read about him, Daniel Willard (1861-1942) was a
phenomenal railroad man. He started on the Central of Vermont as a track
laborer. He then went to work for the Connecticut and Passumpsic River RR as
a fireman and was promoted to locomotive engineer. From 1883 to 1884 he was
a locomotive engineer on the Lake Shore & Southern Michigan. In 1884 he
hired on with the Soo as a brakeman. By 1898 he had advance to the position
of Superintendent and become a protégé of the Soo's General Manager. F D
Underwood. In 1899 he followed his mentor Underwood to the B&O as the
Assistant General Manager. In 1901 he followed Underwood to the Erie. From
1904 to 1910 he was 2nd Vice President in charge of operation and
maintenance on the "Q". He went back to the B&O as President in 1910 and
stayed there until he retired in 1941, at the age of 80. He apparently tried
to retire at age 70, in 1931; but the Board of Directors kept re-electing
him. He died the year following his retirement and was buried in his home
state of Vermont.

I wonder if the quote has anything to do with "been there, done that."

Greg Myers