Re: [BRHSlist] what yr was switch from black to red?

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] what yr was switch from black to red?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:39:11 -0600
Do you speak of the E Unit Paint Scheme? If so, it is not the Chinese Red
scheme, but rather the application of the red used in the Herald, frame and
upper stripe to the nose grilles and horizontal nose bands. The paint is
the same color as Santa Fe Warbonnet red and is deeper than Chinese Red. I
don't remember the exact answer given in the Bulletin but it seems to me the
conversion started about 1959. Some units stayed in the black stripes right
up to the end, if I remember correctly.
Charlie