Re: [BRHSlist] Book question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Book question
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:39:35 EST
Bryan,

While all of the other responses are very good books, if you are looking for
a general book about Chicagoland railroading, I have an out-of-print book for
you to look for. It is Rail City - Chicago USA by George H. Douglas.
Printed in 1981. The ISBN 0-8310-7150-8. The chapters are as follows:

1 - Old Roads to Fort Dearborn
2 - The Coming of the Railroad
3 - How the Big Roads Came
4 - Days of Growth and Glory
5 - The Great Stations
6 - City of Big Shoulders
7 - A Festival of Trains
8 - Showcase for the Interurban
9 - Commuter Paradise
8 - Decline and Regrowth

It is 338 pages and was published by Howell-North Books. Lots of text
explaining the railroad scene around Chicagoland. Some really interesting
pictures too (picture quality is so-so). I found a copy on eBay after a long
search.

Another picture book on the Chicagoland scene nobody has mentioned yet is
Chicago's Passenger Trains by Robert P. Olmsted, ISBN 0-934228-10-8 printed
1983. Olmsted also did the wonderful Q picture books Trail of the Zephyrs
and Zephyrs and Commuters. These photos are mostly later 50's through the
late 60's. His sense of composition and subject matter is really excellent.
This book is certainly worth looking at.

Rich