Re: Ore Trains on the C.B.&Q.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Ore Trains on the C.B.&Q.
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:06:33 -0600
Ore trains were fairly common on the "Q", through Downers Grove in the late Fall. Most were taconite and one could find pellets along the right of way. The ore movements depended on how quickly the Great Lakes froze up. One year, I believe there was a strike that resulted in rail ore movements.

After the winter sets in in Minnesota, even taconite movements become difficult. However, the taconite mills worked during the winter and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range would stock pile huge mountains of taconite pellets adjacent to their Duluth ore docks for spring lake shipment.

I recall that some time around the late '50s or '60s, an ore train derailed in Downers at about Forest Avenue. Somewhere, I think I have some slides of the event. Don't recall the exact date. The derailment was not severe and involve 6 - 12 ore cars. Because of the short wheel base, the cars have a tendency to bounce.

Bill Barber