Re: [BRHSlist] Some more "new" old stuff

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Some more "new" old stuff
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:13:35 -0600
Well, "Frangible" means breakable. Never saw much use of
it in Railroad paperwork.

Another important word, although the RR's didn't use it much,
is "fungible". Fungible goods are those which can be weighed,
or measured, but can not be described as individual items.
When the RR's still had public delivery warehouses this was
important when you got involved in bailment's.

For example Soybean Oil is "fungible". If you buy 10,000 gals
that a carrier or transloader has stored in a 100,000 tank all
you can do, legally, is receive 10,000 gals. There is no legal
way that the product has to be segregated or otherwise
identified.

On the other hand if the commodity is, say refrigerators, when
you go to pick up your merchandise you can demand certain
refrigerators that you have purchased, by serial number. If
the carrier or warehouseman can not produce them then you
have a breach of contract situation and can demand redress.

Are we creating the Uniform Commercial Code group?
Probably I should be scanning the "Bill of Lading Blue Book"
but to tell you the truth I don't even have a copy and can't
remember ever seeing one at work.

Think I'll stick with timetables. Got Lincoln and Wymore
scanned and they could go on the web site today.

Nobodies tried "FRMPO" yet.

Russ