Re: Chicago After Dark

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Chicago After Dark
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:42:00 -0000
Pete,

My grndmother had told me that WLS stood for "World's Largest Store"
on account of Sears, Roebuck, & Co. either owning or being a big
advertiser on WLS radio. My memories of WLS from my teens (1970s)
are of their large broadcast area (I grew up 30 miles east of Quincy,
IL) and that they played rock music around the clock.

Bill H.

--- In BRHSlist@y..., PSHedgpeth@a... wrote:
> This topic is not strictly..or perhaps even remotely...railroad
oriented, but
> since the "vision" came to me while lying awake last night in the
deep dark
> hours between 1:00am and 5:00am thinking about the times I was
driving around
> the South Side of Chicago trying to keep awake it did arise
on "company time"
> so here's a little quiz for you old time Chicago guys.
>
> Part one: I used to listen to a program which came on at midnight
over
> WGN..I think..might have been WLS. The announcer was Franklyn
McCormick...He
> had a very soothing voice and about 2:00 am he would go to a
certain place
> and read Poetry. Question 1....where did he go to read the
poetry???
> Question 2...and you have to be 60 or better to tie into this one.
What
> other radio program do you connect with Franklyn McCormick. When I
was
> listening to his program in 1962-64 I thought that his voice had a
> familiarity to it, but couldn't place it...In the 1970's I bought a
> collection of records of old radio programs and all of a sudden in
one of the
> programs it dawned on me that FM was the announcer....What was the
program.

> Part two: In trying to get back to sleep and thinking of other old
stuff I
> wondered how many folks know that radio station initials as one
time stood
> for something....Here's two that I can think of WLS Chicago and WSM
Nashville