tunnel at Hannibal

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: tunnel at Hannibal
From: "archieh1946" <kliner@s...>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:31:03 -0000
Glen, You were correct in remembering the CB&Q on the east side of
the Mississippi River near East Hannibal. I worked this job out of
West Quincy in the 60's. It switched the industries in Illinois down
to East Hannibal. After obtaining permission from the N&W bridge
operator, we pulled out on the N&W main eastwardly and backed across
the bridge and into the tunnel where we received orders to run to
Hull, Ill. We would leave the N&W main onto CB&Q tracks that were
landlocked in Hull. The tracks north and south of Hull had been
abandoned earlier. This job was called the "Q&A". Depending on the
size of our train, at least the rearend would enter the tunnel. On a
side note, I cashed my first Burlinton pay check in the little bank
of Hull with the salty old conductor vouching for me. Had to have
some cash for beans. Archie Hayden