Streator locomotive facilities

To: BRHS list <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Streator locomotive facilities
From: Eric Mumper <eric_mumper@m...>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:06:57 -0500
Sender: ericm
List,
I just received my order of Q prints from Mr. HK Volrath that show
steam engines in Streator, IL. These are roster shots and show very
little other material, but just enough to be intriguing. My questions
and comments:
Does anyone know where the locomotive servicing facilities were in
Streator? The pictures show the engines sitting outside with no
apparent buildings or servicing stuff except for the occasional ash pan
tools. The ash pit was nothing more than dumping the pan between the
rails.
On a related note: where were the coal and water facilities and what
type were they?
The G5s really look the worse for wear. Not only do they appear to sit
outside all the time, but the glass plant switching has done a number on
them with all the sand, soda and lime covering the running gear. There
definitely were no engine wipers in Streator. This brings up the
question of how and where they were taken for servicing and maintenance.
This is starting to get too long. Thanks in advance for any input and
the guys who ran during the diesel era are encouraged to pipe in as
well.

Eric Mumper