Re: Last post..Motorcar on Keokuk Streets...

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Last post..Motorcar on Keokuk Streets...
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:29:38 -0700
The note that the Edwards motorcar was now operating on the Keokuk dam railroad to transport men and materials was of particular interest to me. By happenstance I own and operate the predecessor Union Electric Kalamazoo motor car that once served this very same purpose day and night across the dam faithfully for 30 years (reportedly there are 56 gates that have to be constantly adjusted to maximise flow through the powerhouse, maintain the pool, and avoid scouring the river floor). This "Old Yellow Car" has since served me as well for the past ten years, including a 1500 mile tour of the British Columbia Railroad.

Take a look at the most recent Railfan/Railroad Magazine for an interesting article on the dam railroad.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA